Solar ship designs

Discussion and showcasing of unit designs!

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Post your unit designs here! Please put in the title the version of Starfire the designs are for.

Solar ship designs

Postby Antares on Fri 10 Jul 2020 11:46

Design 1 - Qv-only Light Transport

EL/SL1 Light Transport
FT1 (AC) - 12 HS / 9 TS
[2] Qv×8 (ica Ica) Qa [4/4]
Cost: 96.0 / 7.2
6 HTK

Note: No Hb to quickly unload prevents its assignment to the CFN and relegates it to limited duty behind the front lines.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Design 2a/2b - Xb Survey ships

If selecting the Racial Advantage of Advanced Science -2 (X), you can have either of the following at start:

General Survey Ship
EX (AC) - 5 HS / 4 TS
[2] Xb (Ica) Qa [4/4]
Cost: 72.4 / 10.9
3 HTK
Requires X SL 3

If you create designated Planetary Survey ships, you can avoid the (AC) cost:

WP Survey Ship
EX - 5 HS / 4 TS
[2] Xb (Ica) Qa [4/4]
Cost: 71.5 / 10.8
3 HTK
Requires X SL 3
No (AC); can not do habitable body surveys

Since these two ship designs mount Xb, you can get four StMP's of survey points per turn with this design. This speeds up your surveys (or reduces the total number of ships needed to survey in a specific amount of time). This helps with the limit on survey ships at the start of a campaign. You could, for example, begin the usual Open WP surveys in the three standard adjacent systems while at the same time beginning your first Closed WP survey on your home system, if you wish, on the first turn.

Note that this ship may not be created via an FT0 design due to military system percentage limits.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Design 3 - Planetary survey ship

Two ships of this design will perform a planetary body survey in 20 days (a shuttle takes 10 days to generate two sp). This gives the ship one StMP to move between star systems in the same turn:

EL/SL1 Survey Carrier
ESf (AC) - 12 HS / 7 TS
[2] (1) Xa (Bsa)×6 (ica Ica) Qa [4/4]
Cost: 179.8 / 27.0 (plus 6 st, for total purchase cost of 269.8 MCr)
11 HTK

Note that the empty hull space before the Xa in this version is intended to be used during refit to a higher generation of X, but planetary survey times are not reduced by mounting Xb. Therefore, the ship alternatively can be designed in several ways:

a) Saving cost by only ever mounting Xa and not having the empty hull space,*
b) With a leading armor for a little added protection (for example, should the ship ever be used in landing troops), or
c) With Ya (to be able to detect alien ships at longer distances, or to have added functionality as a fleet picket ship when not performing its primary function).

* Note that such a ship which is never intended to mount anything but Xa could also be created with one fewer half engine, and move only three StMP to save more on cost. Doing this does not impact the ship's planetary survey speed.

Note that this design must use a fast hull in order to mount all of the boat bays.
Last edited by Antares on Tue 21 Jul 2020 18:08, edited 4 times in total.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Solar ship designs

Postby Antares on Sat 11 Jul 2020 06:07

Just FYI, I have now revised design 3 and comments about it.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Skarn on Sun 12 Jul 2020 03:06

Antares wrote:Now that Hb is no longer required for CFN use

The Official Errata Thread still lists Hb as being required, so I clearly missed the thread where this change was made.

Could you please point me to it? I'm trying to keep my copy of the PDF updated with every rule change that I come across.
Skarn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Antares on Mon 13 Jul 2020 10:27

Skarn wrote:
Antares wrote:Now that Hb is no longer required for CFN use

The Official Errata Thread still lists Hb as being required, so I clearly missed the thread where this change was made.

Could you please point me to it? I'm trying to keep my copy of the PDF updated with every rule change that I come across.

They do not now, but will in the next version. From the forum:

Perdiccas 07/04/2020
CFN freighters do not currently require Hb, correct?
I thought they did, but L4.04 doesn’t mention it

krenshala 07/04/2020
They don't require Hb, but it would be silly not to include them, considering they are used specifically for (un)loading cargo from the ship. :wink:

Cralis 07/04/2020
That is being included in the next version, they will require Hb

Note that I am asking for confirmation about this conversation on the forum at the moment.

Of course, until the next version comes out, the SM can just say that it is required, whatever the outcome.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Skarn on Wed 15 Jul 2020 03:56

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the Official Errata Thread says that it's required makes it so, unless your SM house rules otherwise (and declares it before the game starts). Its basically the post-publication "oops" list.
Skarn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Antares on Wed 15 Jul 2020 05:44

I never did get confirmation on the forum, but that's what I would think. We ended up "fixing" our ships after we started the game thinking that we were wrong because of this question and answer in the forum, so now I guess we'll have to fix the fix.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 20 Jul 2020 01:58

Antares wrote:I never did get confirmation on the forum, but that's what I would think.

The official errata is confirmation :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Tue 21 Jul 2020 18:04

Of course it is... but given the high-level personalities who were saying differently.... lol

Please ignore the first design completely... the only real use it may have is transportation of troops or colonists that can't be handled by the CFN... and even then it takes forever to unload, so it isn't good for invasions, etc.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krenshala on Fri 24 Jul 2020 21:16

It would work for SEC troops being transferred to/from a garrisoned world after conquest.

For a front line, get those boots on the ground now transport, however, you would definitely want the Hb since it significantly increases unloading speed of your Qt (unless you managed to sneak onto the planet, in which case it wouldn't really matter much).

Of course, if you have them, there is also the fast hull with as many Hb as will fit and still carry a reasonable number of Qv systems. :) I haven't done the math to figure out the Hb to Qv ratio to ensure "immediate" unloading of your troops on landing.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Mon 27 Jul 2020 19:39

I kinda remember seeing something about dropping troops from orbit directly from Qv's also... takes like SL or EL five or six, if I remember correctly... so maybe they really won't need Hb to unload troops to a hostile planet once you get to that level. I don't remember where that was in the rules though.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Next

Return to Starfire Unit Designs