Question Space Yards

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Question Space Yards

Postby Joe_76 on Sat 06 Aug 2022 10:01

So is it better to build a large space station and put multiple space yards in it or to build several smaller space stations with one or two space yards in them? Would think it would be safer because if attacked, the enemy would have to hit multiple targets instead of just aim for one, to cripple your build capacity.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Re: Question Space Yards

Postby dazrand on Sun 07 Aug 2022 13:53

Joe_76 wrote:So is it better to build a large space station and put multiple space yards in it or to build several smaller space stations with one or two space yards in them? Would think it would be safer because if attacked, the enemy would have to hit multiple targets instead of just aim for one, to cripple your build capacity.

Joe

I personally add them in a single hull so the few (if any) defenses they mount covers more yards. Ultimately if you have an enemy fleet hitting your main yards things have already gone sideways to the point that delaying the total destruction by a few tactical turns will not have much impact.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Sun 07 Aug 2022 17:22

From a functional standpoint, if all the SY are considered to be one construction complex then there is no real difference between all the SY in one station or one SY per station. You pay slightly more for maintenance if you have multiple stations, but since SY don't pay maintenance (just the hull they are mounted in does) its not usually a significally large amount. I've used both methods depending on how I was 'playing the NPR'.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Aug 2022 19:40

This seems to be a perennial question: place the shipyards together so you can surround them with defenses? Or place them separately (or at least, without defenses) so you can maximize profit? Without defenses, separating them into individual or groups of targets probably won't make a difference, but you never know...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Joe_76 on Fri 02 Sep 2022 19:56

Question about the SY module. Looking thru Galactic Starfire and Imperial Starfire. The module is 80 spaces. That means at SL1 Qa is good for 15 crew points, so you will need 6 Qa per SY? Looking at some designs that people have posted and it does not look like that.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby krenshala on Sat 03 Sep 2022 14:10

H1.02.1 (Solar pp 72) lists the systems that do not require life support (Q) coverage.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Joe_76 on Sat 03 Sep 2022 19:36

Ok. So the current rules that I have are Starfire, Imperial Starfire, Sky Marshall 1 and 2 and Galactic Starfire 4th Edition. Plus all 18 copies of Nexus. I realize the rules have moved on from there just a tad bit. :D So I apologize if I am asking about things that are ancient history.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Thradin on Sun 04 Sep 2022 22:27

I would say it depends on which set of rules you are going to use.

If you are playing Imperial Starfire (3rd edition), each Q supports 50 hull spaces and each Lh (life support hold, which is not used in later games) supports up to 5 Q (see 09.06.02).

If you are playing GSF (4th edition), using the Solar requirements seems reasonable. However, I did not see an exception for shipyards in my copy of GSF.

Cheers
Thradin
Thradin
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Cralis on Mon 05 Sep 2022 15:54

Joe_76 wrote:Ok. So the current rules that I have are Starfire, Imperial Starfire, Sky Marshall 1 and 2 and Galactic Starfire 4th Edition. Plus all 18 copies of Nexus. I realize the rules have moved on from there just a tad bit. :D So I apologize if I am asking about things that are ancient history.

We still have players using 1st and 2nd edition Starfire. Each version has it's own ups and downs, and especially as we get to the newer versions, a different look and feel. So it's not really "ancient history" ;)

Thradin wrote:I would say it depends on which set of rules you are going to use.

Very true.

If you are playing Imperial Starfire (3rd edition), each Q supports 50 hull spaces and each Lh (life support hold, which is not used in later games) supports up to 5 Q (see 09.06.02).

If you are playing GSF (4th edition), using the Solar requirements seems reasonable. However, I did not see an exception for shipyards in my copy of GSF.

If I remember correctly, (SY) having built-in Q (aka no Q requirement needed) didn't start until Ultra Starfire. Though there is no reason you cannot house rule it into your game in any other version...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General