New Tech Timeline

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

New Tech Timeline

Postby brasidas19004 on Wed 08 Apr 2020 11:45

People,

I re-did the tech timeline for Starfire 2nd Edition. If that is heresy for you, well, just close this message and take a walk outside and get a few deep breaths of fresh spring air. :D I've felt for a while that the tech fluff made for a nice intro to the game system, but was a bit unrealistic and didn't give players enough chance to learn the tactics of each development - it's like they were all suddenly available and it's a bit overwhelming for a new player. Only urgent necessity brings huge funding streams to the military, so to refit and/or create new classes is not quite as optimistic as presented in the 2nd Ed. chronology. I feel this is more realistic as well as makes for better game play.

All offensive and defensive systems are now in a logical progression of responding to a technological state, and create a pendulum of tech development that corresponds to ship design.

My intent at this point is to slow the rate of development down chronologically so it is a bit more like a year or two between developments, possibly several years for a major breakthru. This will make the pace a bit more like...Sailing - Steam - Ironclads - Predreadnoughts - dreadnoughts - WWI - WWII - Modern era, altho it won't mirror that exactly, of course.

With this slower rate of developments, I plan to play out significant battles with new ship designs in a new chronology.

If you are interested in seeing what I've done, just PM me your contact info. Would welcome healthy critique!

Best, Ale
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: New Tech Timeline

Postby Cralis on Thu 09 Apr 2020 23:31

You can always post an outline of what you've done. I've seen lots of SpaceMasters run games where they have slowed down technological progression so that they get a similar result to what you are describing.

While we would have a problem with you posting sections of rules, if you want to ask a question about a specific rule(s) or talk about the actual changes you've made: go ahead and post it. Even I have quoted rules on occasion in the forums.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General