Question About Small Craft

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Question About Small Craft

Postby Joe_76 on Fri 05 Aug 2022 16:01

Just getting back into the game after many years. have some questions about small craft. I have Imperial Starfire and Galactic Starfire Fourth Edition

1. Noticed hanger bays (V) are gone. Now have boat bays (Bb) fighter bays (Fb) (I guess) and gunboat bays (Bg) (I guess). Does this mean that gunboats are now carried internal to the ship instead on the hull?

2. Have st (shuttle?) and ast (assault shuttle?). No longer have a pinnance to be able to go thru a warp point?

3. Seem to have seen / read articles / stories about small craft attacking or defending ships, bases, etc. What is this?

Thanks,
Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Re: Question About Small Craft

Postby dazrand on Sat 06 Aug 2022 07:07

1. Yes Bf and Bg are the combined squadron bays for fighters and gunboats. Gunboats are carried internally and externally using the (XOg) External Ordnance Racks.

2. When adjusting balance, it was determined a long endurance warp capable small craft was too powerful, so the pinnace was removed.

3. There is a fair amount of Starfire fiction revolving around fighter and gunboat actions against defenses and in fleet actions. Webber's books focus heavily on that during ISW4 and there is some fan fiction here as well.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Joe_76 on Sat 06 Aug 2022 09:55

Sorry. I did not explain better about #3. Have seem items on here where low level small craft (not fighters or gunboats) attacked bases / moons etc. That is what I was curious about.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Joe_76 on Sat 06 Aug 2022 09:56

Going to miss the pinnance. Liked it for scouting.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby dazrand on Sun 07 Aug 2022 13:49

Joe_76 wrote:Sorry. I did not explain better about #3. Have seem items on here where low level small craft (not fighters or gunboats) attacked bases / moons etc. That is what I was curious about.

Joe

No problem, I expect these fall into one of two possibilities.

1. Ground-bases can be attacked with nuclear bombs which assault shuttles can carry.
2. Some player stories are based on a modified technology tree where they introduce fighters or gunboats earlier than normal. Some of the 3rd edition stories even introduce new armed small craft which are not reflected in the GSF or 3rd edition rules.

I initially missed the pinnace as well, but have since gotten used to custom probe ships to take over the role.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Sun 07 Aug 2022 17:19

Shuttles (st) can also carry bombs, just half as many as an ast can (since its cargo space is half as big).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Aug 2022 19:38

In the next release of Solar Starfire we are releasing more squadrons and small craft to help fill out some of the missing roles.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Joe_76 on Sat 03 Sep 2022 03:34

Please do not take this wrong I am just trying to understand.

2. When adjusting balance, it was determined a long endurance warp capable small craft was too powerful, so the pinnace was removed.

But is that not what a gunboat is? Especially if you add life support.

1. Yes Bf and Bg are the combined squadron bays for fighters and gunboats. Gunboats are carried internally and externally using the (XOg) External Ordnance Racks.

Does this not remove the disadvantage of GBs since they can now be stored internally? Can carry 4 GB vs 6 fighters internally. I have never played GBs but looking at the stats I would think 4 GBs would defeat 6 fighters and be more dangerous to ships.

Joe
Me and M T B C.
Joe_76
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby krenshala on Sat 03 Sep 2022 14:14

for the most part, it is set up (and works) as: ships beat fighters beat gunboats beat ships (rock, paper, scissors style).

so, fighters to defend against gunboat strikes, ships (or other fighters) to defend against fighters, gunboats to defend against ships.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Mon 05 Sep 2022 15:48

Joe_76 wrote:Please do not take this wrong I am just trying to understand.

But is that not what a gunboat is? Especially if you add life support.

We make a differentiation between squadrons and other small craft. Pinnace could use weapons, transit warp points, travel large distances... they were basically a super-tech jump and they were quite powerful for the EL (now SL) that they appeared. Marvin took them out of Galactic and Ultra Starfire completely. In the future of SSF you will likely see them (or something like them) return, but at a much higher SL.

Does this not remove the disadvantage of GBs since they can now be stored internally? Can carry 4 GB vs 6 fighters internally. I have never played GBs but looking at the stats I would think 4 GBs would defeat 6 fighters and be more dangerous to ships.

GB in Ultra Starfire are very powerful. That was tuned down some in Solar Starfire, and we are making big changes to the entire squadron system in the next version of SSF.

That and we discovered a few years ago that most people didn't realize that in Ultra Starfire and Solar Starfire most weapons can fire at large units in the Large Unit Combat Sub-Phase, and again at squadrons in the BASV portion of the Small Unit Combat Sub-Phase. Without which Gunboats are significantly more powerful...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General