"Who coined the term “blaster?”" in Sci-fi.

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

"Who coined the term “blaster?”" in Sci-fi.

Postby southwestforests on Tue 11 May 2021 14:51

Who coined the term “blaster?”

Ya know, I don't recall having thought about that.
Do not take that for my assessment of the value of thing,
it is merely a statement that I do not recall having previously pondered that.

https://vintagegeekculture.tumblr.com/p ... rm-blaster

I’ve said for years that the first person to use the phrase was Jack Williamson, who also coined the terms “terraforming” and “genetic engineering,” in his Legion of Space novels from 1936. These stories were a highlight of the pre-golden age, F. Orlin Tremaine era of Astounding, just before Campbell took over and kicked off the era we know: However, recently, a far older occurrence of the term “blaster” was found, this time, dated to an incredible full decade earlier (1925), by one of the strangest and most mysterious men in all of science fiction history: Nictzin Dyalhis.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Return to The Starless Void