Habitable Body Survey

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Habitable Body Survey

Postby Antares on Fri 16 Jul 2021 15:37

So, if the 20 days is 30 days rule becomes a rule... I can then see how Xp might make sense at times. I had avoided those as parts of survey fleets like the plague.

I never figured I would use Xp (or the gigs) for surveying consistently since I was frequently using one of the StMP's to move between systems, or to move from where they were built to the next system, etc. (I know that you don't count the time if the ship begins at the WP... it happens often enough to me though that I am not spending the entire turn surveying.)
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 17 Jul 2021 23:12

Antares wrote:So, if the 20 days is 30 days rule becomes a rule... I can then see how Xp might make sense at times. I had avoided those as parts of survey fleets like the plague.

Ok let's make sure we get this correct. It is not "20 days becomes 30 days" ... it is, "if you participate in a particular activity for at least 20 of the 30 days in a month, you count towards that activity"

It does not magically give you 10 more days. I know it's a "point of order" so-to-speak, but it's important.

I still haven't found the rule, so I'm going to open the discussion with the group to make sure that we want to do this. But it makes sense for the purposes we intend it (surveying); but should it apply to anything else? If so, what? We will want to be specific so it cannot be abused.

I never figured I would use Xp (or the gigs) for surveying consistently since I was frequently using one of the StMP's to move between systems, or to move from where they were built to the next system, etc. (I know that you don't count the time if the ship begins at the WP... it happens often enough to me though that I am not spending the entire turn surveying.)

Right, that's part of the thinking here as well.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SDTroll on Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:46

Cralis wrote:
I still haven't found the rule, so I'm going to open the discussion with the group to make sure that we want to do this. But it makes sense for the purposes we intend it (surveying); but should it apply to anything else? If so, what? We will want to be specific so it cannot be abused.

I can see the value in the rule. It certainly makes Xp and gigs better for surveying and might encourage bigger survey ships for the free gigs. The biggest abuse I could see, assuming it is held to only surveying, is to have a ship survey for the first 20 days with their gig, then move for the rest of the month, getting the survey points. As long as it only applied to things with a survey speed of 1, probably not a big issue. It depends on if you want to see the game move towards larger survey ships or stay with smaller ones.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 18 Jul 2021 21:23

So.... Dazrand reminded me that for the next version of Solar Starfire we have changed Xp to be 2 SP for 2 StMP (aka 2/2) in order to eliminate this problem.

The primary issue with the rule (as I suspected) is that allowing the 20 day participate rule for Xp opens up the door for other situations to be treated similarly. In fact, your very suggestion proves that fear since we did not intend for you to be able to use it to survey with a gig for 20 days and then move the ship (and gig) for 10 days. That was not intended, but a side effect that we didn't predict. Since we don't want the game to get fuzzy (by not having firm requirements and restrictions), we have to draw the line somewhere. We did that by changing Xp to 2/2.

So as a home rule I would recommend that, for Xp only, if it is "on station" for a survey for 20 or more days in the month, it generates SP for that month for that survey only.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire