IC’s on a fast hull

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: IC’s on a fast hull

Postby SDTroll on Tue 18 Aug 2020 08:30

I usually have three survey fleets at the beginning of the game. Each has 17 of the basic surveyers and 2 scouts with shields and MNE to protect against those pesky dangerous systems. Then I have a fleet of 3 of the planetary surveyers which can do a planetary survey in one STMP which allows me to get them done quickly by flying it from system to system. I'm not sure it's the best set up, but it seems to work.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Wed 19 Aug 2020 03:49

Yes you can do this, no reason you can't. But because of MSS there isn't much point, so Lomn's design, as good as it is, isn't the best, this is better: (Note uses Cralis proposed rule for removing requirement for H)
CTf 30HS/21TS
[2] (Bsa)x12 Xa (ica Ica) [3]
15 HTK Cost 255.2/38.3
Carries 12 Shuttles
Two of them cost 76.6 to maintain and precisely match what you need to survey a planet in a single StMP
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:39

Proposed rule? Try H1.02.2 in version v6.02 ;)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Wed 19 Aug 2020 14:24

Sorry, not proposed rule for removing H, proposed rule for removing Q, which you should be able to see by the stat line.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 19 Aug 2020 21:28

SCC wrote:Sorry, not proposed rule for removing H, proposed rule for removing Q, which you should be able to see by the stat line.

Removing Q has been discussed, but it's not going to happen. At least, not in the next version.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SDTroll on Sun 30 Aug 2020 09:38

SCC wrote:Yes you can do this, no reason you can't. But because of MSS there isn't much point, so Lomn's design, as good as it is, isn't the best, this is better: (Note uses Cralis proposed rule for removing requirement for H)
CTf 30HS/21TS
15 HTK Cost 255.2/38.3
Carries 12 Shuttles
Two of them cost 76.6 to maintain and precisely match what you need to survey a planet in a single StMP

This is probably more efficient, the only reason I went with the faster design is so they could move around the empire better when they aren't surveying. There is no reason to upgrade to Xb with them, so they can serve as the planetary surveyers for a long time. This means they often have to cross the empire to get to a new system for survey purposes. I like being able to move 5 in that case, especially when you are surveying 4 or 5 systems out from the homeworld.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Sun 30 Aug 2020 16:08

That wasn't worth very much to me due to the way pulsed movement works, it's rarely going to save you much, if any time.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Antares on Tue 01 Sep 2020 15:47

How do you calculate 51 survey points from the one ship plus its shuttles. Xa and the shuttles each require a survey speed of three or less, so eight shuttles plus the Xa on the ship is 9, times three is 27... no?

Also, anytime that the ship moves to an adjacent system, it would only be able to use a x2 multiplier... no? 20% of the month (6 days) is already gone, and moving at strategic speed three requires 10 days for StMP for each movement point / multiple....

In addition, if the ship moves two systems to get to the location of the planetary survey, then 40% of the month (12 days) have passed before you start to survey... leaving only one StMP left in the month at strategic speed three.

Am I looking at this wrong?

EDIT: Sorry... forgot the shuttles gain two points per StMP... so 8x2 + 1 for each of three StMP's is correct. The point still exists though that if the ships move between systems or stars, they can't complete the survey in the same month.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Antares on Tue 01 Sep 2020 15:53

SDTroll wrote:
SCC wrote:Yes you can do this, no reason you can't. But because of MSS there isn't much point, so Lomn's design, as good as it is, isn't the best, this is better: (Note uses Cralis proposed rule for removing requirement for H)
CTf 30HS/21TS
15 HTK Cost 255.2/38.3
Carries 12 Shuttles

This is probably more efficient, the only reason I went with the faster design is so they could move around the empire better when they aren't surveying. There is no reason to upgrade to Xb with them, so they can serve as the planetary surveyers for a long time. This means they often have to cross the empire to get to a new system for survey purposes. I like being able to move 5 in that case, especially when you are surveying 4 or 5 systems out from the homeworld.

Doesn't this thing need a Qa?
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby SDTroll on Tue 01 Sep 2020 17:21

Antares wrote:How do you calculate 51 survey points from the one ship plus its shuttles. Xa and the shuttles each require a survey speed of three or less, so eight shuttles plus the Xa on the ship is 9, times three is 27... no?

Also, anytime that the ship moves to an adjacent system, it would only be able to use a x2 multiplier... no? 20% of the month (6 days) is already gone, and moving at strategic speed three requires 10 days for StMP for each movement point / multiple....

In addition, if the ship moves two systems to get to the location of the planetary survey, then 40% of the month (12 days) have passed before you start to survey... leaving only one StMP left in the month at strategic speed three.

Am I looking at this wrong?

EDIT: Sorry... forgot the shuttles gain two points per StMP... so 8x2 + 1 for each of three StMP's is correct. The point still exists though that if the ships move between systems or stars, they can't complete the survey in the same month.

I use three of them in one fleet, so 17 each, 51 per STMP
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire