IC’s on a fast hull

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

IC’s on a fast hull

Postby StarTytalan on Mon 10 Aug 2020 02:20

Fast hull are +1 to base speed but there is no such thing as a fast hull freighters but you can put Commercial Engines on a military hull in fact I would say this is a good ideal in some cases. i.e. survey ships. My question is am I reading it right I could build a FGf that with Commercial Engines have a cruising speed of 5?
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: IC’s on a fast hull

Postby Kumakunshu on Mon 10 Aug 2020 14:23

Yes :) With the following drive train, (ica Ica) (Ica) (Ica).
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby SDTroll on Fri 14 Aug 2020 09:29

I do this with my planetary survey ships. They are CTf to be able to have the necessary number of (BSA) and thE high strategic speed let’s them get around quickly when not surveying
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Kumakunshu on Fri 14 Aug 2020 20:02

SDTroll wrote:I do this with my planetary survey ships. They are CTf to be able to have the necessary number of (BSA) and thE high strategic speed let’s them get around quickly when not surveying

Wow :!:

I'll bet the maintenance costs are staggering for your survey groups. :shock:

I'd love to see the control sheet for that CTf though. ;) Care to share :?:
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Lomn on Sat 15 Aug 2020 13:07

Probably something like this one:
Code: Select all
Planetary Survey-class CTf    16 HS / 10 TS
[2] (Bsa)×8 Xa Ya Qa (ica) (Ica) (Ica) [5/5]
Trg: 1    Def: 0    Cost: 249.2 / 37.4    SL 1
14 HTK
We've talked around dedicated planetary survey ships like this in the forum for the past few years. It's expensive, but it's also special purpose: it'll crank out a planetary survey in a single month (51 SP between the ship and the onboard shuttles), so the point is to have this trailing your main survey fleets so that your WP surveyors don't have to stop and scan down bodies. In that respect, it's a force multiplier.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Kumakunshu on Sat 15 Aug 2020 18:22

Ah yes, I've seen this type of ship before. Very good at what they do. ;)

But you do have a flaw in your engine room layout. A ship can have only one half engine and it must be mounted as the first engine system (or the left most engine) in the first, or left most engine room, on your star-ship control sheet. So the engine rooms on this ship should be laid out like this. (ica Ica) (Ica)
The rule that covers this issue is C1.02.2.
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Lomn on Sat 15 Aug 2020 19:20

I'm aware. It's not worth the effort to make the Shipyard spreadsheet automatically process engine rooms and generally not worth the time to manually edit the line.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SDTroll on Sat 15 Aug 2020 20:02

I only build three of them, they fly around doing planetary surveys. Most of my surveyors are very basic FT0s.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Kumakunshu on Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:11

Lomn wrote:I'm aware. It's not worth the effort to make the Shipyard spreadsheet automatically process engine rooms and generally not worth the time to manually edit the line.

Too true, too true. :lol:
I only take the time out to write the control sheets when I actually build the blinking things. :mrgreen:

SDTroll wrote:I only build three of them, they fly around doing planetary surveys. Most of my surveyors are very basic FT0s.

I usually don't build any planetary surveyors, CTf (2) - H ((Bsa)x8) Xp (ica Ica) (Ica) Qa - (5), until after the early game is through and my WP surveyors are to busy to take the time out for planetary body surveys. And the FT0's with Xa?, FT0 (2) – H Xa (Ica) Qa – (4), I love these little beastees for the early game! :D Without modification from section K, you only need 67 of them in your survey groups for minimum time surveys of any kind. ;)
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby StarTytalan on Mon 17 Aug 2020 15:08

It’s a little more expensive but here what I use for surveying
FGf (AC) 22HS/ 13 TS
[2] SSSA(BSA)LaYaXaHQaQa(Ica)(Ica)(Ica)(Ica) [5/5]
Trg 1 Def 0 Cost 296.8 / 44.6 SL 1
15 HTK Sx3 Ax1 SRWx1 Range 6
Little expensive but it has endurance
StarTytalan