Ship Builder Spreadsheet?

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Ship Builder Spreadsheet?

Postby danjay on Tue 05 Apr 2022 15:31

Is there a spreadsheet, application available for 3rd Ed. Classic Starfire?
Thanks in advance.
danjay
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Ship Builder Spreadsheet?

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Apr 2022 19:33

You can find Lomn's Solar Shipyard Spreadsheet in our download forum, at viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3295
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Wed 06 Apr 2022 13:24

But Lomn's sheet is for SOLAR. I believe that danjay is looking for a 3rdR tool...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Apr 2022 01:34

Doh! My apologies, that's what I get for responding to messages after midnight. Wait... I'm doing that now... :roll:

I don't remember if there was something like that, but I'll take a look at the archive of old files I got from Marvin a few years ago and see if there is something like that in there.

PS: I wonder if it would be hard to change Lomn's spreadsheets to work for 3rdR? 90% of the work would simply be adding in the correct tech system data...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Sat 09 Apr 2022 00:52

Cralis wrote:Doh! My apologies, that's what I get for responding to messages after midnight. Wait... I'm doing that now... :roll:

I don't remember if there was something like that, but I'll take a look at the archive of old files I got from Marvin a few years ago and see if there is something like that in there.

PS: I wonder if it would be hard to change Lomn's spreadsheets to work for 3rdR? 90% of the work would simply be adding in the correct tech system data...

There was a "shipyard" program back in the day for 3rd. Last place I saw it was on GEnie... (man, that dates things)... circa 1992-93. I didn't grab it because I ran Mac, not MSDOS/Windows. I did try it, on my roomie's computer... was win 3.x required.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 09 Apr 2022 21:38

aramis wrote:There was a "shipyard" program back in the day for 3rd. Last place I saw it was on GEnie... (man, that dates things)... circa 1992-93. I didn't grab it because I ran Mac, not MSDOS/Windows. I did try it, on my roomie's computer... was win 3.x required.

It was originally written in VB5, and then I think updated to VB6, but AFAIK it doesn't work with Win10 even with the proper libraries. I've heard that you have to be using XP/Vista for it to work at all.

I haven't seen it work in around 15 years. We wanted to use the old code to rewrite it but Marvin was never able to find it, as it was written long before any home method for archival was a thing.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Tue 12 Apr 2022 19:11

Cralis wrote:Doh! My apologies, that's what I get for responding to messages after midnight. Wait... I'm doing that now... :roll:

Does Lomm’s spreadsheet use macros? If not, I’d be willing to take a stab at updating it for 3rd Edition Revised (I have through Crusade and Stars at War).
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 12 Apr 2022 22:56

Morpheus wrote:Does Lomm’s spreadsheet use macros? If not, I’d be willing to take a stab at updating it for 3rd Edition Revised (I have through Crusade and Stars at War).

I think so, but I don't know. It's a free download on the download section in this forum, so you can just take a look...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Wed 13 Apr 2022 16:17

Cralis wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Does Lomm’s spreadsheet use macros? If not, I’d be willing to take a stab at updating it for 3rd Edition Revised (I have through Crusade and Stars at War).

I think so, but I don't know. It's a free download on the download section in this forum, so you can just take a look...

It looks like there’s a bunch of stuff related to systems and hull size that’s in locked/hidden tabs. I’ve got Libre Office, but have been unable to access the locked/hidden tabs to modify them for 3rd Edition.
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to Classic Starfire