Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Xveers on Thu 29 Apr 2010 20:57

krenshala wrote:So, traditionally a GB squadron is 4 ships and fighters are 6. Got it.

I know, it doesn't quite work out if you use that as hard and fast numbers considering the DP values, but it at least gives an idea for people. Perhaps the tech appendix can include a line like: "A typical (GB|Fighter) squadron consists of (4|6) ships, though the actual numbers may vary by generation and even race."

Back on the topic when things drifted ... interpenetration of GB and/or fighter squadrons -- Couldn't the rule be that the squadron takes 15% of current DP in damage? A 15% chance of interpenetration or 15% DP off the top should lead to same amount of squadron losses. It would also avoid the problem of grouping GB/FQ with large units.


Alright, what I'll be doing then is handling GB squadrons thusly:
They transit at the size indicated in the rules. They do not count as double transit size when going with something else (as per G8). Provided they do not go over the per-pulse capacity of the WP, there is no interpenetration. If they do go and simultaneous transit the following is done:

1) Pair off all GB squadrons, with any odd ones out left alone or paired with any spare Large Craft, if any.
2) Roll for each pair against simultaneous transit % as per Table C4.04
3) If a pair collides during transit, both take a % damage to their DP as the % indicates (Indicating complete interpenetration, with some GB being crippled from the event instead of insta-killed). This incidentally means that no gunboat squadrons will be completely destroyed but they can be badly crippled. This also means that gunboats can work as an effective WP turtle defense cracker.
4) The lone GB squadron (if there is one) rolls at 1/2 the %, but if it does interpenetrate it takes full % damage.
5) If GB and Large Craft simultransit at once, and a GB is paired with a Large Craft, if there is interpenetration the Large Craft takes damage as per the % roll as well as the GB, after shields. So if the GB squadron would take 15 points of damage, the large craft would also take the same amount inside of shields (so armor, datalink etc would be hit).

That make any sense Krenshala? Or were you thinking of something else.
User avatar
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby PracticalM on Thu 29 Apr 2010 20:59

Actually if you look at G7.05 none of the SRW weapons can shoot beyond range 5.

There is the issue that Alpha generation ship weapons can hit small craft at ranges out to 9 when they cannot hit large units at those ranges. This would have to be explained by smallcraft being easier to damage at those ranges.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 10:27
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Xveers on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:12

PracticalM wrote:Actually if you look at G7.05 none of the SRW weapons can shoot beyond range 5.

There is the issue that Alpha generation ship weapons can hit small craft at ranges out to 9 when they cannot hit large units at those ranges. This would have to be explained by smallcraft being easier to damage at those ranges.


I can't seem to find that in G7.05. Could you tell me exactly where it is (referencing other stuff in the same section of the rules). I gotta be blind or something...
User avatar
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby drakar on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:14

I think that my group may just end up house ruling that weapons that cannot reach a range of 9 cannot engage small craft at that range either.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
User avatar
drakar
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue 20 Apr 2010 13:55
Location: Renville, MN

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Cralis on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:51

drakar wrote:I think that my group may just end up house ruling that weapons that cannot reach a range of 9 cannot engage small craft at that range either.


But how are you going to measure that?

Are you talking about the most current generation? Or the generation equivalent to the squadron generation? The former is what you should use, not the latter.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11784
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby PracticalM on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:55

Xveers wrote:
PracticalM wrote:Actually if you look at G7.05 none of the SRW weapons can shoot beyond range 5.

There is the issue that Alpha generation ship weapons can hit small craft at ranges out to 9 when they cannot hit large units at those ranges. This would have to be explained by smallcraft being easier to damage at those ranges.


I can't seem to find that in G7.05. Could you tell me exactly where it is (referencing other stuff in the same section of the rules). I gotta be blind or something...


The fact that G7.05 has n/a in the 6-9 range. That's saying the fighter weapon cannot do damage at that range. Unless this changed after the version of the rules I have.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 10:27
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby PracticalM on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:57

drakar wrote:I think that my group may just end up house ruling that weapons that cannot reach a range of 9 cannot engage small craft at that range either.


Probably not the most terrible thing but does make E a tougher fight against fighters.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 10:27
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Xveers on Thu 29 Apr 2010 21:59

PracticalM wrote:
Xveers wrote:
PracticalM wrote:Actually if you look at G7.05 none of the SRW weapons can shoot beyond range 5.

There is the issue that Alpha generation ship weapons can hit small craft at ranges out to 9 when they cannot hit large units at those ranges. This would have to be explained by smallcraft being easier to damage at those ranges.


I can't seem to find that in G7.05. Could you tell me exactly where it is (referencing other stuff in the same section of the rules). I gotta be blind or something...


The fact that G7.05 has n/a in the 6-9 range. That's saying the fighter weapon cannot do damage at that range. Unless this changed after the version of the rules I have.


That's entirely possible. The copy I have has that part of the table as a -3 rather than n/a. I'm pretty sure I otherwise have the newest ones... I lost my previous copies over reformats and other such and had Marvin send me a replacement set about a month back or so.
User avatar
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby PracticalM on Thu 29 Apr 2010 22:28

Hm, well if it's changed from n/a to -3 that would make SRW more powerful on Fighters and Gunboats.

I would still allow all the small craft weapons and the large ship weapons firing at small craft do damage across the entire 9 hex range.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 10:27
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby drakar on Thu 29 Apr 2010 22:35

Cralis wrote:
drakar wrote:I think that my group may just end up house ruling that weapons that cannot reach a range of 9 cannot engage small craft at that range either.


But how are you going to measure that?

Are you talking about the most current generation? Or the generation equivalent to the squadron generation? The former is what you should use, not the latter.


Sorry clarification on that ship weapons equipped on a ship that cannot fire to a range of 9 will not be allowed to engage small craft until the small craft come within standard weapons range of the ship. And the weapon range will be deemed by the effective range of the weapon and generation of the weapon firing but no weapon can fire at small craft outside of the 9 hex envelope.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
User avatar
drakar
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue 20 Apr 2010 13:55
Location: Renville, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Ultra Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests